Francesco Totti on turning down Real, visiting prisons and being shy

In an extract from his autobiography, the former Roma captain discusses his career choices and the fans’ adulation

In 2005, I was yet to turn 29, and it was the period in my career in which Roma were paying me the most: €5.8m a year and image rights that were entirely mine. My contract had another year to run, until 2006, which meant that while Roma could ask Real Madrid for a fair amount for the transfer, as it should be, it would be hard for them to say that I wasn’t for sale.

Florentino Pérez, the Real president, had pursued me since 2001. The name that he had chosen to continue his collection of galácticos – enriched in the meantime by David Beckham and Michael Owen – was mine once again. Real Madrid offered me €12m a year and hybrid management of image rights, both personal and the club’s. The percentages dropped as the numbers rose, but a first estimate indicated possible earnings of €15m, even more than my salary. Absolute madness. I’d definitely have become the highest-paid player in the world. The offer was accompanied by the €60m initially offered to Roma for my transfer. Initially, I’m told, meant Real could have gone up to €70m without a problem.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mIWudX

No comments:

Post a Comment