Grenfell tore my family apart, but the tributes give us the strength to fight | Karim Mussilhy

Since the tragedy, we’ve had to campaign for our voices to be heard. Now we have that chance, we should not be censored

Last Tuesday, I spoke at the Grenfell inquiry about my uncle, Hesham Rahman, and it was extremely hard. I have no problems speaking in public, but the weekend before the inquiry started was tough for my family. My uncle lived on the top floor of the Grenfell Tower, in flat 204; we waited three months for his identification and he was laid to rest at the end of September.

Since then, alongside other bereaved relatives and survivors, I have been campaigning – although I’m not sure that is the right word – to have more people on the inquiry panel. We all felt very strongly that this is too big to be overseen by just one person. Previous inquiries when a single life has been lost – Stephen Lawrence, for example – have had additional panel members, so we didn’t think we were asking for much. We almost felt we were doing them a favour, because confidence in the inquiry was non-existent at that point. Now that is starting to be rebuilt.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2sj2SgC

No comments:

Post a Comment