How do I know I’m becoming American? I notice the NHS | Emma Brockes

I no longer take the welfare state for granted after moving to the US: from this side of the Atlantic, it’s nothing short of a miracle

I was recently in London for the first time in three years and was shocked by how much and how little had changed: Soho appeared tiny, the city’s tree coverage seemed huge, and there were still building works on Charing Cross Road. Transport for London workers, on balance, seemed friendlier and more cheerful than their equivalents on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in New York, and I couldn’t believe how aimless the average shopper in Sainsbury’s was.

Supreme court justice Anthony Kennedy's retirement is a reminder of how thin the protections of US civil liberties are

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2IAU62C

No comments:

Post a Comment