'I've become a roasting fiend' – how to get better at cooking

Growing up with Punjabi cuisine has left Coco Khan dependent on spices for her cooking. Can she learn to cook an ‘English’?

Like many British Asians, I grew up in a household full of the smells of spice, the sound of lamb sizzling and the steady beat of a knife chopping coriander and ginger. Punjabi cuisine takes the highest place in my heart. It’s a reminder of my identity and my family, where food formed a huge part of life. When I cook, often cobbling something together from whatever is lying around, I stop thinking. It’s second nature.

Which is great until I receive feedback that my shepherd’s pie has a really odd masala vibe, or that I put the wrong kind of “hot” in hotpot when I added a green chilli. The truth is, I have become dependent on spice. I keep chilli flakes on my desk; my spice jar collection is 30-strong. It has become a crutch – I would compare it to someone who slathers every meal with ketchup because they don’t how to create flavour any other way.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://bit.ly/2QZAka7

No comments:

Post a Comment