The more the word 'woke' is used as a slur and a joke, the more we need it

By the time we got our heads around what woke was, it felt like it was going to end up as the political-correctness-gone-mad it was meant to counter. But I’ve changed my mind

Woke. How do you react to this four-letter word? With an eye roll? Cynicism? Or the exhaustion that comes with checking your privilege ceaselessly when everything is a potential culture war and the world teeters further to the right?

As someone who has been writing a column that claims to be wide awoke, let me tell you this: a year ago I loathed the word. Woke was like a badge that people seemed suspiciously keen to pin to themselves. It said: look at me and the work I’ve done on myself!

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/2TxHhzy

No comments:

Post a Comment