Lockdown stole the fun of people-watching – now it's finally back | Chibundu Onuzo

This summer, I can once again observe strangers in real life, instead of through my window and on social media

• Chibundu Onuzo is author of The Spider King’s Daughter and Welcome to Lagos

Last week, I made a trip into central London, and spent the day gloriously, nosily, watching strangers. In no particular order, here are some of the things I observed. A sartorially bold man in a matching print shirt and face mask. Three women walking abreast, refusing to yield the pavement to anyone. Four teenagers shouting out rap lyrics on the underground concourse. As they walked past, an elderly man flinched and clutched his belongings. They’re not dangerous, I wanted to reassure him. Annoying, yes, and very bad rappers, but not dangerous.

I’ve missed traditional people-watching during the lockdown. Of course, we all watched people from our windows. The delivery drivers who always seemed to go to the wrong address. The mothers (and it was mostly mothers in my neighbourhood) on their school runs, herding children to the school gates. And of course, the righteous runners, cyclists and power walkers, refusing to let a global pandemic stand in the way of their fitness goals.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3wAkX8L

No comments:

Post a Comment