Team GB’s Shauna Coxsey: ‘If just one person sees climbing and tries it, that’s a win for me’

Sport climbing makes its Olympic bow in Tokyo and Britain is represented by a bouldering world champion who has never lost that childhood instinct to climb

Even as she ascends a replica of the Olympic bouldering wall while talking about going to the Games, between being kitted out and trained up one month before she heads to Tokyo, Shauna Coxsey still quite cannot believe she is competing in sport climbing’s debut Games. “I don’t think it’ll sink in until afterwards,” she says. “I never expected climbing to become an Olympic discipline during my career. I’ve trained, I’ve qualified and now it’s weeks away … it’s surreal!”

Coxsey’s sense of disbelief as a pioneer in a sport thrust into the Olympic spotlight would be understandable before any Games, let alone one coinciding with a pandemic. “The past year has taught everyone to be sceptical,” Coxsey says. “Even now I’m asking, is it going to happen?”

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3xNVdqj

No comments:

Post a Comment