The Hundred has won me over but it remains a gamble for cricket in England | Ebony Rainford-Brent

I was completely against a new format but I love the equality and marketing behind it. Now it must win over fans

It’s more than three years now since the England and Wales Cricket Board announced its plan to create a completely new format for the franchise tournament they were intending to launch in 2020. On Wednesday, delayed by a year because of Covid, the Hundred finally gets under way when the Oval Invincibles play Manchester Originals in a women’s match at the Oval, with the first men’s game between the same teams a day later. Now the pressure really hits – and it isn’t just the players who will be feeling it.

When I first heard about the idea I was completely against it. I did not come into the game from a traditional family environment, and I never found it that complicated to grasp. I didn’t see the need for a new format, and all the questions that arise from it – would it be revolutionary or nearly the same? In what way would it be easier for people new to the game to pick up?

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3hJlwbf

No comments:

Post a Comment