Why are Tory councillors in Essex censoring artwork? | Tim Burrows

A boorish section of the UK right doesn’t get that you don’t have to be left wing to appreciate art, even art you disagree with

From my house in Southend I can hear giant explosions reverberating along the flat Essex fringe. These blasts, from the Ministry of Defence-owned Foulness Island at the mouth of the Thames estuary, sometimes sound like a car boot the size of a small town being repeatedly shut. Other days they make my desk vibrate and the window frames click. Recently my daughter finally asked the dreaded question: “Daddy, what is making these explosions?” I decided to level with her as best I could. The army was testing weapons, I said, but it was nothing to worry about (for us at least).

It seems some of Southend’s local councillors don’t treat their constituents with the same maturity as I do my four-year-old. An English Garden – a contemplative artwork in the form of a rose garden and some benches installed in a park next to a former British army garrison in Shoeburyness, near Foulness – has been removed earlier than scheduled after a handful of local Conservative councillors objected to what it said about activities on nearby MoD land and their wider implications.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3xRfwmH

No comments:

Post a Comment