Ironing has a rival for my affections – the matchless, marvellous joy of log-stacking | Adrian Chiles

Faced with a waist-high pile of logs, I sighed, and listlessly began moving them. Then, a complete surprise: I had never known absorption like it

Those of us with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder crave absorption more than most. It would help if I were blessed with more practical skills. Basic competences in carpentry, knitting or even Lego would be so useful to me in my search for peace. As I am sorely lacking in these departments, when I do find a task to lose myself in, it is a source of great joy. Pooterishly, I have written before about a lockdown love I developed for ironing, my ardour for which is undimmed, but now it has a rival for my affection: log-stacking.

A great load was discharged from the side of the log man’s van. I looked at the waist-high pile and sighed. Almost all previous experience in my life of tidying or imposing order merely constituted moving piles of stuff from one place to another. Pointless.

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/310jnT1

No comments:

Post a Comment