Jane Campion: ‘Film-making set me free… it was as if I had found myself’

The trailblazing director on how #MeToo inspired her first feature in more than a decade, the revisionist western The Power of the Dog

The Power of the Dog is the first feature film Jane Campion has directed in 12 years. That it happened at all is down to her picking up Thomas Savage’s 1967 novel of the same name and not being able to put it down.

“I was actually thinking of retiring before I did this film,” she says, matter of factly, “but then I thought, ‘Oh man, this is gonna be a big one.’ I’d read the book and loved it and afterwards I just kept thinking about it. When I made a move to find out who had the rights, that’s when I knew it had got me. I needed to do it.”

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3wobiTA

No comments:

Post a Comment