Covid killed my mum on the day of the Downing Street Christmas party | Jackie Green

Mum was determined to abide by the rules – we never even got to say goodbye to each other

I used to have a joke with my mum where I’d call her the rubber ball, because she always seemed to bounce back from any illness she had. My mum was called Beryl Harris, and she was 86 when she died of Covid-19. She died in hospital on 18 December last year – the same day as the non-socially distanced Christmas party at No 10.

We had had a terrible few years already. My stepfather Brian had developed an aggressive form of vascular dementia that meant he deteriorated very quickly; he was diagnosed when he was 74 and died when he was 78. That really took its toll on my mum and me, not least emotionally. My mum was just coming out of that very bleak period, and feeling far more positive about things – she was getting her zest for life back again, and it was really lovely to see.

Jackie Green is a member of Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice

Continue reading...

from The Guardian https://ift.tt/3pHwT6F

No comments:

Post a Comment