Brexiter MPs are not the problem – it’s the other 600 of them | Simon Jenkins

The fundamentalists are few in number, yet they got their way because the majority in parliament abandoned responsibility

I once wanted to be an MP, but a kind friend warned me off. He said I was far too interested in politics, and it would end in tears. I am sure he was right. Others I knew did enter parliament, and I admired their courage in opting for a tough and vital calling. But after this week’s Commons vote, I confess I have never held MPs in lower esteem. Never in my lifetime has the profession so abandoned judgment and responsibility, in favour of personal ambition and party advantage.

Related: The UK isn’t ready to Brexit. Instead it’s heading towards a no-deal tsunami | Polly Toynbee

Continue reading...

from The Guardian http://bit.ly/2ML9nl9

No comments:

Post a Comment